Monday, September 10, 2012

Monday, September 10, 2012


Lessons From A Junk Drawer 

Last spring, I found a tape measuring on the floor, so I picked it up and went to put it away in our junk drawer. I couldn’t get the drawer open let alone put something else in it. That experience spoke to me as a metaphor for my life. My life—any life—is like a drawer: it will only hold so much. And choices are made almost daily about what goes in and what comes out and how it gets arranged. While the decisions about what is in the junk drawer are not mine alone, it is still up to me and the others in my family to work together to see that it does not become so full that it can’t be opened and thus rendered useless.
Last spring I began blogging daily during Lent, and when Lent was over, I stopped completely. It was one of the things I stopped doing because I needed to sort out my life to decide what was going to be in and what was going to be out. To tell you the truth, I’m still in that process, I have decided that I still want to blog, but this time I’m committing to doing so only once a week. If time allows and I have something to say, I might do it more frequently, but I will do it at least once a week.
However, blogging is just one piece of a bigger picture. For me, fall always marks a new beginning. At this time of year, I think about the commitments I am going to make. You might say that it’s a time to dump out the contents of the drawer of my life to reflect on and then arrange the way that will help me live the life I long for and believe with all my heart Christ has already acquired for me through his life, death, resurrection, and ascension. The way I am doing that is by asking myself what are the practices, relationships, and experiences that will be a means of offering myself to God so that he do for me what I cannot do for myself?
This is a very individual endeavor. It takes times, thought, prayer. A key word is intention. Change will happen in my life. Time will pass. The only question is whether that change will result in growth or that the time that goes by will bring me closer to the Lord I love and whether I am becoming a more loving person as he desires me to be.
To be honest, I am so aware of ways that I need to change and probably more aware than ever of my inability to change myself. But I am hopeful. Not because of me. Not because of what I am planning to do in these coming months. But because of Christ and his purposes in my life and the power of his Spirit working in and through me and all who trust him. “I am confident of this, that the one who began a good work among you will bring it to completion by the day of Jesus Christ” (Philippian 1:6). That is a truth I believe and am choosing to live into.

No comments:

Post a Comment