Sunday, March 18, 2012

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Living What We Believe

During this Lenten season I invite you again to set apart one day a week to stop your work and make time for rest and worship. Live what you believe by trusting God and his ability to care for you and the world without your help.

In his book Catch Your Breath, Don Postema writes:

"When I wake up in the morning and look around, the world looks like a Renoir painting, everything a little blurred and out of focus. Then I fumble around, find my trifocals, put them on, and my world is back in focus. I can see more clearly what I’m doing and where I’m going. Sunday Sabbath time does that for my inner sight. It’s an invitation to wake up and to focus on God through the spectacles of a Sabbath attitude…Not that I completely forget about God during the week. But often the vision of God’s presence gets blurred, my priorities get jumbled; my commitments seem unclear. My perspective narrows to the mundane. I’m often influenced by a this-is-all-there-is-there-ain’t-no-more secularism; Sabbath helps me celebrate a there’s-more-than-meets-the-eye reality…It is a chance to lift our gaze to the sacred, to readjust our minds, realign our hearts, reset our priorities, clarify our commitments, and enlarge our perspective. We realize that there is another reality beyond the ordinary, eager to break through.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment