Saturday, March 24, 2012

Saturday, March 24, 2012


Never in a Hurry

If you have been following this blog regularly, you probably noticed I missed a few days this week. After hearing the advice not to try to do too much, I am trying to change my rhythm as I get back into my work and family life.

Throughout this week the words of John Wesley have been ringing in my ears: “Though I am always in haste, I am never in a hurry, because I never undertake any more work that I can go through with perfect calmness of Spirit.”

I also have been remembering the words of a spiritual director to John Ortberg when he asked what he must do: “You must ruthlessly eliminate hurry from your life.”

Wow! This is so important! And unless I am at peace and have a deep sense of well-being, I will not be freed up from compulsion to do more. I intend to stop hurrying, breathe deeply, and learn to live more lightly and freely.

So, though I intended to blog every day in Lent, I am going to choose to undertake what I am able to do “with perfect calmness of Spirit.” I will seek to stop hurrying, which, to be sure, will be a process of change. But I will do as I can and not as I can’t.

Ahhh. I’m experiencing more peace already.

No comments:

Post a Comment